As promised this weekend on the Facebook page, here is the rather luxurious recipe for making penne something to right home about. I am aware that penne has become something of a boring choice nowadays when you look at the volume of types of pasta that is now filling the isles of the supermarkets. I do adore this in one respect as I love Italian food, so more choice within everybody’s grasp is great. These days I tend to go for wholemeal pasta’s too as I always make sure that we are eating well throughout the week, with the exception of the odd treat. This is one of those treats.
I will admit its not one for the budget cookbook. Saffron and Smoked salmon are both not cheap ingredients, but it is well worth it!
What you’ll need:
- A small pinch of saffron
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml white wine
- 100g smoked salmon, sliced into tiny strips.
- 250g penne pasta (Cooked to packet instructions, retaining a little of the cooking water)
- 50g cherry Tomatoes
- Handful of Spinach
- 50ml water
- 50g butter
- Get the water in a glass, and sprinkle in your bit of saffron to the water. Wait for the water to turn golden.
- Pour the wine into a pan and simmer on a medium heat. Reduce it right down.
- Add the butter and tomatoes to the pan.
- Pour in the double cream and add the salmon. Then a quick sprinkle of salt and the saffron/water to the pan, Leaving no saffron strands behind!
- Continue to simmer on a medium heat and stir. The sauce will thicken and turn a golden, buttery yellow. This will become more intense as you cook it.
- Add the pasta and the spinach and keep on a low heat, stirring to wilt the spinach and get the pasta to bond with the sauce.
Serve with some garlic bread and make sure you serve enough for everybody. Its tempting to keep it all to yourself!